Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 24: Who You Lookin’ At? You Lookin’ At Me?


These are owl eyes. It’s one of my most popular feather designs even though it’s one of the simplest things I do. I think people are drawn to the feathers with eyes because it turns the whole feather into a creature and the piece is about the personality of the feather rather than about painting. I like that. No matter what I’m painting, I take time to contemplate what is best for each particular feather that fits its natural features. That’s one of the things I like best about painting feathers: Each one is unique and demands a slightly different approach, forcing me to be more creative and flexible. Limits are what allow creativity to come through. The more limits you have, the more creative you have to be. In college, I loved the challenge of recreating master paintings by artists such as Van Gogue and Rembrandt, but being limited to only two colors on my palette. I learned so much about color through those assignments.



Length of Feather:  5”              

No comments:

Post a Comment