Monday, May 7, 2012

Day 16: Shoebox Butterfly


Butterflies are one of the best-selling subjects for my painted feathers. In fourth grade I found a monarch butterfly with a tattered wing and I kept it alive in a shoebox for a week. As though it happened earlier today, I feel like I have a crystal clear memory of standing in the front hall by the coat closet with the butterfly resting in my cupped hand. It relieved itself in that moment, in the late afternoon, with sun at an angle that made the wood floor and trim in the hall glow yellow and warm. I remember thinking how rare it is that one is even aware of the existence of butterfly poop, and I felt deeply sad that I couldn’t do more for the butterfly, hoping that it wasn’t terrified of me and that it’s broken wing wasn’t causing it terrible pain.


Length of Feather: 4 1/2”               

No comments:

Post a Comment