Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shrimp Jubilee


I recently applied to be an artisan at the Daphne Jubilee Festival, and as part of the application process I needed to apply for an Alabama Business Licence. In the past, the state hasn't enforced the licence at arts and crafts festivals, but they are going to start being more stringent. I had to make a few phone calls to find out how much my fee would be for the licence ($17) and in which category I should register (174. Transient Vendor/Peddler). The business choices listed in the form are delightfully antiquated! It is incredibly fun to read, and well worth your time if you're interested in late nineteenth and early twentieth century American history. There are many fantastic business categories; here are just a few of my favorites from the form:

95. Devices for testing skill and strength used for profit
109. Hat cleaning establishments
119. Legerdermain and slight of hand
132. Moving picture shows; Transient Operators
144. Playing cards
155. Scientists, naturopaths and chiropodists


Length of feather: 7"

No comments:

Post a Comment