Friday, April 20, 2012

I Like Lists

I make to-do lists almost every day. Some are simple little lists that help me organize the tasks I need to do in the next hour; some are meta lists of things I need to accomplish or remember as I work towards a long-term goal. I also make packing lists when I'm doing something complicated or going away for a long time. I've knocked out the to-do list for the CDAF tomorrow, which included the test run of putting up and taking down the tent yesterday.
And so that leaves me to pack the car and set the alarm clock for 4:00AM since set-up time is 5-7:30AM (which will actually be a little tight. I've got a lot of pieces to hang, and if it its rainy I have to deal with waterproofing the tent first). Here's my list:


Festival Day Packing List
·      Framed feathers and paintings, priced and stored in large plastic bins to keep them dry in case it’s damp (I was aiming to take 200 pieces. I’ve got about 175 ready to take with me, which means my goal was good.)
·      Duct tape
·      Clear packing tape
·      Scotch tape
·      Rope and bungee cords
·      4 Dog ties (recommended by another artisan. They are large cork screws that you twist into the ground to tie off the tent and make it more secure in case of wind. Got them at the dollar tree)
·      Cement blocks to weight down the tent (especially since I think I’ll be on cement and won’t be able to use the dog ties)
·      2 rolls of heavy duty plastic sheeting (in case it looks like it will rain)
·      6 new light weight plastic drop cloths (again to help keep things safe and dry in case it rains
·      Spiral notebook
·      Laptop (though I don’t plan on using it)
·      4 carbon copy receipt books for cash and check sales
·      Cell phone and GoPayment credit card swiper
·      Extension chord and cell phone charger ( know that I’ll be near electricity)
·      Correction markers for wood for frames in case they get dinged from being handled
·      Windex and paper towels for cleaning glass of framed feathers
·      Chair (purple shabby chic chair….might as well have a cool chair there rather than a plain folding one. I want to create an inviting atmosphere in my space)
·      Folding table (a long narrow one that I can put against back wall)
·      White sheet with lace edge for a table cloth so I can hide things under the table
·      Safety pins to secure the table cloth
·      Feather identification guide, information about where I get my feathers, and sample photos of my work in a three-ring binder for people to peruse.
·      Calculator (because I really hate using the calculator on the cell phone)
·      Pens and sharpies
·      1000 business cards minus the 20 I’ve given out so far
·      Monkey bowl to put business cards in
·      Small handout/bookmark with my short bio and contact information on it to give with each purchase
·      Basket to put the handout/bookmarks in
·      Colored tissue paper to wrap purchases in (the bright colored paper is important to me. When I sell things on eBay I wrap the items like a present with a bow and people really dig it. It has brought be repeat customers. I’m a big believer in generous customer service. The experience is as important as the item. )
·      Brown paper lunch bags to put purchases in (clean, simple, cheap, classic)
·      Basic tool kit with hammer, box cutter, pliers, scissors, etc. (found I need the pliers to take down the tent at the end of the day…one of the pins is fussy and sticks)
·      Canopy tent with mesh and solid walls (I paid $25 extra for the red top instead of plain white. If the visibility gives me even just one extra sale, then it will have paid for itself. The tent is heavy, but came in a great duffle bag with wheels to make it possible to roll when moving it. I did a test run of putting up and taking down the tent earlier this week. It was tough, but I was able to do it all by myself. I will thankfully have help from Damen at 5AM.)
·      Two little scrub trees (that are about 14 feet tall) that I will cut down tonight. They are behind the old chicken coup on my property and need to come down anyways
·      A whole mess of colorful little birds and butterflies to put in the trees that will be attached to each side of the opening of my tent (to make me visible, to create a fun space that people want to visit, and just because it’s fun)
·      FeatherMore sign for inside the tent
·      My signs listing all the methods of payment I accept (Cash, Check, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, American express, PayPal and baby goats)
·      A basic kit of my art supplies (glass palate, paint, brushes, cup for water, feathers mounted on card stock) and a few feathers so that I can be there working if things are slow or I have plenty of help from friends with selling  (so people can see how I do my thing)
·      Camera (with extra batteries, because I know they’re low)
·      Three hole punch and big butterfly so I can make a “We’re Open” sign in case it’s rainy and I have to put up solid sides, but it’s not so rainy that I’m not willing to pack it up. I’ll make the call tomorrow
·      Cash box with small bills and coins ready to be made into change
·      2 boxes of paperclips for hanging the art on the mesh walls (tested it. Works even better than the s hooks that came with the set up)
·      Magnifying glass for people to see the detail on the tiny feathers
·      Bottled water (I’m told that I will dry out simply from all the talking I will be doing)
·      Parking pass
·      Extra pricing labels
·      Sunscreen
·      Tylenol
·      Step ladder, if there’s room, to help with putting up little birds in the trees and in the rafters of the tent

No comments:

Post a Comment