Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Some Pig


I was walking on the Natchez Trace not long ago, admiring the spider webs in the trees, when I was struck with inspiration. Spider webs on feathers is a natural fit. The first simple webs with spiders and moths went well and I began to toy with what else I could do with the subject. I'm just getting started, but playing with scenes from Charlotte's Web was fun as a next step. Wilbur is peaking up over the natural curve of the black band of the feather. I realized after I painted it that I could have imposed a symmetrical curve over the natural slanted slope and no one would have known the difference. At first I was displeased with the result, but the more I look at it, the more I'm glad I kept the quirky natural shape of the band. 







Length of wild turkey tail feather: 13"


No comments:

Post a Comment