Wednesday, February 6, 2013

180 Degrees of Consistency


Yesterday I finished painting 180 turkey feathers with the date 3/8/13. They will be tied to invitations for a rehearsal dinner in Virginia, with the wedding taking place the following day. The feathers were provided by a Mississippi hunter, which, I am very pleased to announce I can legally use according to Mississippi Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks Public Notice Rule Number WL-3816. The law changed in December 2011. Feather laws are strict and sometimes confusing, as they differ from state to state. Public Notice Rule Number WL-3816 states that deer and wild turkey parts (antlers, fur, and feathers) can be used for crafting. This does not, however, cover duck feathers that have been obtained legally by hunters. Because ducks migrate, they are protected by federal feather laws (as are all other migratory birds). I can use feathers from ducks that are raised domestically (which I do), but not ones that have lived in the wild. The law is fascinating and I'm having a good time being sure all my ducks are in a row (or at least from the farm), so to speak.  

Length of feathers for this project: about 3" each

No comments:

Post a Comment